The Elements of Art Journaling

Each week we will be working on one of the elements – earth, air, fire, water and spirit and learning techniques to make an art journal.
This is my journal front:



It started life as a pink/purple background with jade and lime green swirls and then sat at the back of my desk for weeks as I didn’t like it and didn’t know what to do about it!! In the first lesson, swe were shown some good background ideas and how to add layers (and more layers) to our covers ……and how to cover it up if you don’t like it! I didn’t go as far as covering it with gesso but I used matte gel medium to cover it with tissue till there was only a little hint of the previous “art work”. It has ripped pieces from an old book, a piece of music in the bottom left corner which I found – “Who is Sylvia” from a The Two Men of Verona (Shakespeare) – my Mum’s name was Sylvia so I thought that needed using – all added with gel medium. I tinted the papers with Caran D’Ache Neocolor washed in with a babywipe. It then had skeleton leaves and some butterflies (to represent the Spirit element) added and lightly sprayed with green and yellow Glimmer Mist.

Nearly finished but it looked a bit incomplete so I finished off (nearly) with some magic mesh (bottom left) sprayed with a red and gold glimmer mist – that’s the fire element. Still not happy, so I added the gold netting over some of my butterflies: that’s Spirit trapped as I feel mine is sometimes. The back was made in a similar fashion but without the net and butterflies.
OK – now to put it together – out came the Bind-It-All which struggled a little with the front, punched all the holes along the top until I decided I wanted to side bind it!! Also managed to punch the back on the wrong side which would have made it upside down! Oh dear – working late and brain already gone to sleep. It has watercolour paper at the front and lined paper for notes at the back. So, I put it together with a matching red wire and then decorated (ok – covered up) the wrong holes by crocheting some pretty fibres through. Tied a few fibres along the edge with some flower beads attached – finished!! Oh – lastly some acrylic words I found that I’d forgotten I had so they had some little brads added and stuck on!
Very pleased with it although it’s taken me a lot of the evening to clear up the mess on my desk!!! So now I have no excuse for neglecting my blog as I’ll have photos of all I’m doing that I’ll be putting up for my lessons so I can add them here too!
Well, that’s about it for tonight – I’ll trying taking more “in progress” photos next time to cut down on the words!!

Happy Arting


Comments (2)

  1. Nan G (reply)

    November 8, 2012 at 3:52 am

    OMG just pooped over from WOYWW 179 to have a peek….I’m blown away by the beauty of this page! Nan G

  2. Sally Miller (reply)

    December 7, 2012 at 8:55 am

    This looks absolutely gorgeous so I hope you have started to love this journal now.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Published on: 4 July 2011
Posted by:
Discussion: 2 Comments