Photo heavy post today!
I was lucky enough to be selected to join in the Paper Artsy 3Up Challenge. For the last few days, each night on the Paper Artsy blog, there have been displays of 3 artists’ work using some of the lovely goodies that Paper Artsy produce. There have been some brilliant pieces of artwork created for each night with links to the person’s blog to check out how they made their creations.
So today’s post is all about the making of my piece from the supplies I was sent. Here are my starting supplies – fresco paints in pastel shades – Cheesecake, Stone, Blue Oyster and Guacamole; one of the recent stamp sets from guest designer Kay Carley, and two of previous years’ sets from designers Ellen Vargo and Elizabeth Borer.
The remit for the challenge was to create a piece of artwork based around these supplies but with the option to add some of our own stash. I decided to make something 3D so picked an Art Parts large pocket watch and some flowers I already had.
The Ivy Fairy fitted the opening of the watch perfectly! I started by sponge painting the watch with White Fire fresco paint to give some texture and cover the original colour as it had been used for a previous project. I then decided to make a background piece for the fairy using all the colours provided and some of the smaller stamps from the sets using Brilliance archival pearlescent inks in olive, yellow, beige and lime. I lightly stamped the fairy on the card first so I could get the placement of the colours correct for under the leaves and wings.
I stamped the fairy and leaves twice more to make the layers for the 3D effect. Painting the skin was a little bit of trial and error to get the right tone (blush and a touch of stone)!
I used blends of Hey Pesto, Guacamole and Tinned Peas fresco paints for her dress and the leaves. The ribbon and gems are coloured with metallic blue pro marker. I stamped the wings onto Clearly for Art film so I could heat shape them and painted with pearl glaze. So here’s the fairy ready for layering up:
And here’s the layered piece drying with the background first stuck to the back of the watch:
I’d decided to use the spray of leaves from the Elizabeth Borer set for the frame of the watch and tried different combinations of card, card backed Clearly for Art, plain Clearly for Art but settled in the end for white Clearly for Art painted with frescos. I find Clearly for Art really useful in 3D work as it’s so easy to heat and bend into shape…..in this case, it was initially shaped over a rolling pin!
I managed to find some coordinating paper flowers in my stash so used these to make a spray for the watch frame. I thought the top of the watch looked a bit plain so I painted a “stone” made from UTEE with the Fire Gold fresco paint.
I used silicone gel to attache the flower spray and the leaf trails – the leaf trails “lacked something” as I was attaching them so I wove in some tiny rose buds to enhance them and also a couple of wired gems.
The final touches were some clear sparkle spots on the fairy and her leaves and some sparkle pen on her dress. I also decided to add some blue gems on the bottom of her dress and some of the ribbons.
So that’s my completed piece for the challenge! I thoroughly enjoyed doing it – especially as I don’t usually work with pastel shades -and I’m pleased with the end result 🙂