WOYWW 464 – Turning 60 in Sunny South Wales!

It’s Wednesday so it’s WOYWW and for those new to the Wednesday desk hop…check out the links on Julia’s page here. and read all about the weekly work desk displays…..

So here’s the new addition to the family…my 60th birthday present to me…ok, I know I shouldn’t have had it till Friday but….and here’s a couple of pieces I’ve already done on it:

30826251_10213299903086609_1210978486_o  31198160_10213299899086509_1596754810_o

Brief update as it’s so long since I’ve been around: Life has moved on…and so have I. Time to reflect on the events of the last 18 months or so….

So much has happened since my last blog post – complete thyroidectomy after a thyroid cancer scare, the end of my marriage, life changing ’emigration’ to South Wales, reassessment of what is (and isn’t) important in life, huge de-clutter of my home (yes, it would have made sense to do it before I moved down here but I wasn’t in the right frame of mind!) and change of creative direction……and piano lessons!

Facing the possibility that you have cancer, the same cancer your Mum died of, makes you take stock of your life. A huge relief that it wasn’t cancer in the end but they could only be sure by doing the thyroidectomy and now it’s pills for life but no chance of any more growths in that region. But the result of taking stock was the realisation that I needed to move on, to look after me and put me first…..a very, very hard decision to make.

So huge leap of faith, big change, and I’m now living the right side of the Severn Bridge – I always loved South Wales from the days of working down here – and now, 10 months on,  it’s very much My Home. The house is gradually becoming what I want, the community in this cul-de-sac is very friendly and supportive, everyone speaks to you as you walk down to the shops which is something I’m definitely not used to, I have everything I need on the doorstep, Cardiff shopping is only a 20 minute train ride away and the sea is 15 minutes drive. Yes, it does rain quite a bit down here but being this close to the sea, you expect it and I have checked several times when it’s raining and Banbury has had rain too so it’s not just Wet Wales!! Some friends supported me through the troubled times and I will be forever grateful for their support, some friends chose not to for whatever their reasons. You grieve for the loss of what was, you dry the tears, you move on…

I’ve gone back to my love of sewing – a new embroidery machine has joined the collection which is brilliant and I wish I’d got one ages ago! A new(to me) quilting frame is on its way here thanks to Lewis collecting it and bringing it with him at the weekend. And I’ve decided I want to work more in fabric/fibres than paper/paint/ink so the stash is gradually being reduced in that area – although fabric and fleece seem to be taking up the space I’ve made (and more!).

So I am restarting my blog, revamping the website and getting back to creativity 🙂

Life is good!

butterfly2signaturecn

Comments (11)

1. LLJ (reply)

April 25, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Welcome to Wales Caz! Because I made a very similar journey 15 months ago back to the small town in Carmarthenshire near to where I grew up. And I haven’t regretted a single minute! We had a mad mid-life moment, my husband wanted to retire early, so we just trusted in the universe and life has been brilliant. Where are you? Sounds as if you’re not a million miles away – fancy a meet-up sometime?
    That machine looks blooming scary!! But I bet you’ll turn out some amazing stuff. Happy Big Birthday by the way, hope you have a wonderful day. Drop me an email (the link is on my blog) if you fancy a catch-up.
    Hugs LLJ 2 xx

2. Carol N (reply)

April 25, 2018 at 3:48 pm

Wow! That’s quite the machine! And glad you’re joining up with WOYWW again. Happy Birthday! Hope you have a wonderful week!
    Carol N #18

3. Sarah Brennan (reply)

April 25, 2018 at 5:14 pm

Hi Caz and welcome back to WOYWW; I’m a relative newcomer. Love your new machine; after all why shouldn’t you treat yourself for a big birthday. Sorry to hear about your health scare, it must have been terrifying. Glad that you have found a kindly community and like where you are living now. Happy birthday for Friday! Sarah #8

4. Tracey (reply)

April 25, 2018 at 6:46 pm

Welcome back Caz, i’m a newbie to WOYWW group dabbling my toes for the third time so it’s good to meet you. It sounds like you have been through the motions over the past year or two and I can think of no better way to up sticks, move on and enjoy life because it’s for living. Happy 60th on Friday and enjoy that machine, there’s something quite magical about working with fabric.
    Thank you for sharing WOYWW this week.
    Creative wishes Tracey #10

5. Helen (reply)

April 25, 2018 at 6:47 pm

good to see you again and catch up on your news – and see your gorgeous sewing!

6. Helen (reply)

April 25, 2018 at 6:48 pm

oops, enjoy your birthday on Friday!

7. Angela (reply)

April 25, 2018 at 10:39 pm

Happy Birthday for Friday. You have to try the machine out before your birthday to make sure it’s working properly of course. Have a great woyww and happy crafting, Angela x28x

8. Christine (reply)

April 26, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for your visit earlier, had to stop sorting for the mo ….. new stash …..
    Welcome back!! You have made some positive moves, well done. I do believe that life is so hard at times but only we can make it better……. and you did!!
    Have wonderful day tomorrow – lots of hugs and laughter.
    Christine #07

9. Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith (reply)

April 27, 2018 at 11:18 am

Happy birthday, Caz! Sounds like you’re putting your life back on track. We almost ended up in South Wales as well, but eventually moved to the West Midlands – I can tell you it rains just as much over here, if not more LOL! Have fun with your new machine in your new home. New beginnings are always exciting and full of promise! Thank you for visiting yesterday. Best wishes, zsuzsa #12

10. Kelly (reply)

April 27, 2018 at 4:54 pm

Welcome home, Caz… all the way around.
    Starting over is tough but definitely has an upside. I love the prospective you have taken and wish you all the best. Hope to see more of you. Creative Blessings! Kelly #27

11. Michaela Cotterell (reply)

April 27, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Happy Birthday today!
    Welcome back to WOYWW after such turmoil and upheaval but what a lovely place to start the next chapter and with a fabulous new machine too!

Thanks for visiting my desk already

Kyla